Over 17,000 persons have applied for the available 1,454 vacancies in the Ebonyi State Civil Service. Governor Ogbonnaya Nwifuru had directed the recruitment be carried out to fill vacancies that ensued as a result of retirement and resignations of some civil servants in the State.
Commissioner for Information and State Orientation, Jude Okpor, on Thursday said the State Civil Service Commission had received 17,834 applications from job seekers. Okpor stated this while briefing the media in Abakaliki, the state capital on the outcome of the state Executive Council meeting held on Wednesday this week.
He noted that out of the 17,834 applicants who submitted applications for employment, only 5,352 met the requirement of submitting Original Certificates, with their applications while the rest submitted their statements of results.
Okpor states that those who submitted their original credentials will be shortlisted, as it is one of the criteria. He equally said that those who did not submit their original certificate, but submitted statement of result, will be given an opportunity to do so pending the deadline of the submission and screening.
He explained that Governor Francis Nwifuru who is the Chairman of the executive council emphasised that the recruitment should be merit-based so as to give all applicants equal opportunity to compete for the job.
He noted that the council has urged the Civil Service Commission to fast track the recruitment process to ensure that the exercise was concluded as soon as possible. On payment of gratuity to the retied civil servant, he said the council has directed that all eligible retired civil servant be paid their entitlements as soon as possible.
He said the payment will start from September 21, 2023, with a release of the sum of N3,851,763,617.65.
“EXCO had earlier received a preliminary report on this matter during which the sum of about N4.3 billion was earmarked for the exercise.
“That the Board of Directors should be properly constituted for proper supervision of the company.
“That other matters of criminality and shoddy transactions by the former GM should be referred to the police for proper investigation.
“The Committee concluded that the former GM, did not comply with the code of conduct for public officers in his transactions in the company, and such conduct should be followed with the recommended process of public probe.
“The Council after deliberations deferred further action on the report to the next EXCO meeting,” he stated.
SOURCE: The Nation
IMAGE: Ebonyi Today